Alert

Almost as Old as Canada

black and white photo of bishop cronyn memorial church

On December 14, 1873, Memorial Church (later Bishop Cronyn Memorial Anglican Church), at the southeast corner of North (later Queens Avenue) and William streets, was consecrated by Bishop Isaac Hellmuth.  The original plans drawn on linen and preserved in the church vaults, were executed by Toronto church architect, Henry Langley (November 26, 1836 to Janury 9, 1907).  Langley designed over 70 churches in Ontario (including Metropolitan Methodist (later United) in Toronto) and was the first chair of the Department of Architecture at the University of Toronto.

As part of its 140th celebration, on Sunday March 2, 2014 at 10:30 am, Cronyn Memorial Church is holding a service as it would have been in 1875. 

Arthur 

photo of Cronyn memorial church

A black and white print showing a front and side view of Bishop Cronyn Memorial Church.

Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada