Link to Accessible Catalogue
 

Cead Mile Failte: A Hundred Thousand Welcomes!!

4 leaf clovers

180 years ago, a formal St. Patrick's Day dinner was held in London at the Mansion House Hotel on the north side of Dundas Street between Ridout and Talbot streets.  The following dinner invitation was sent out:  

Erin-Go-Bragh:  Sir, - The honor of your company is requested to a national dinner at the Mansion House Hotel, London on St. Patrick's Day, 1835.  Dinner at 5 o'clock.  An answer is requested by the 10th.  Tickets at the bar.  

The Mansion House Hotel was originally built by United Empire Loyalist Abraham Carroll who put the following ad in an 1827 issue of the Gore Gazette which was published in Ancaster:

Hotel in New Town of London - The subscriber having erected and licensed as an inn, a commodious two-storey frame building on Dundas Street in the Town or Village of London, commonly called the Forks of the Thames, begs leave to apprise the public thereof.  The hotel is within a few rods of the superb building now erecting in the town as a jail and courthouse for the London district, has the best stabling accommodation, and is in every respect well qualified to afford comfort and convenience to the public who may have resort to the county town of the London district. 

This first Mansion House Hotel was destroyed in the Great Fire of London on April 13th, 1845.  After the fire, a second Mansion House Hotel was built near the location of the original hotel. 

To learn more about the Irish in London, please visit the website of the Irish Benevolent Society of London and Middlesex

Invitation for the Production of The Princess, March 17, 1898

You are cordially invited to attend the production of The Princess by Lord Tennyson, to be given by members of the Elocution Department of the London Conservatory of Music, assisted by members of the Vocal Department.

Auditorium, March 17, 1898, at Eight O'Clock.

Plan for reserved seats will be open at the Conservatory on Wednesday, March 9.

Please Present Invitation.

Source of this invitation:  Programmes, Archives Box # 187, Closed Stacks, London Room, London Public Library.