Link to Accessible Catalogue
 

First Formal Training for Library Assistants

This year, the Carson Branch Library is celebrating its centennial.  It was named after William Oliver Carson (1874-1929), the third chief librarian for the London Public Library.  On February 2nd, 1911, a special committee was appointed to consult with Mr. Carson regarding the syllabus for compulsory training  for assistants appointed after February 1st, 1910.  Subjects for study included Annotation; Bibliography; Book Selection; Cataloguing; Circulating Department; Classification; Secretarial Work; Serials, Newspapers and Periodicals; and Study of Reference Works.  Mr. Carson left London Public Library in 1916 when he was appointed the Provincial Inspector of Public Libraries.  While inspector, Mr. Carson organized the Library Training School which made librarianship a profession in Ontario.

Arthur