Link to Accessible Catalogue

John Smyth

Waterloo Hotel

On January 11, 1847, Captain John "Waterloo" Smyth reopened his boarding house as the Waterloo Hotel on the west side of Richmond Street just north of York Street.  John Smyth, originally from England, was a soldier in the 95th Regiment and fought under Wellington at Waterloo.  He came to London in 1838 and was a pioneer in the volunteer movement and a captain of the first rifle company organized in the district.