Service Alerts

Most library services have returned, including in person Storytimes, study rooms at some locations, The Labs and toys and activities in children's areas.
Register now for Free Fall Programs!
Has your Library Card expired?

Holy Bible: First Accession for London Public Library

On November 26, 1895, the London Public Library was officially opened.  Its first accession was the King James Version of the Holy Bible, published in London, England by Eyre and Spottiswoode.  It was 1,125 pages long and had Morocco binding.  It was donated by George White Armstong and valued at $2.00.  George was born on April 8, 1842 in Manchester, England, the son of John and Mary Armstrong.  In 1881, he emigrated to Canada and lived in Toronto and Woodstock where he worked as a travelling saleman for the Robertson Company.   In 1890 he came to London and was manager and then president of the London Brass Company. George served as an alderman in 1895, 1896, 1906 and 1908 and was particularly interested in playgrounds and swimming pools for the children of the city.  He was also an elder in the Knox Presbyterian Church for many years. In 1911, George donated two volumes of his poetry to the public library.  George's first wife, Christiana, was born on January 16, 1839, the daughter of Rev. W. Dawson, and died on May 3, 1888.  On August 31, 1891, George married his second wife, Margaret who was born on April 30, 1852, the daughter of Catherine and William Barr.  George and Margaret's daughter, Christiana, was born on July 7, 1891.   George died on September 20, 1913, aged 71, at his home at 64 Elmwood Avenue in South London.  64 Elmwood Avenue was the boyhood home of well-known Canadian author, Arthur Stringer.