Service Alerts

Most library services have returned, including in person Storytimes, study rooms at some locations, The Labs and toys and activities in children's areas.
Register now for Free Summer Programs!
Has your Library Card expired?

Blackfriars Bridge c. 1880

Blackfriars Bridge

Blackfriars - London's oldest bridge was officially opened on September 27, 1875. Assembled on the site, the prefabricated bridge was built by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. Upon completion, the strength of the bridge was tested using ten teams of oxen to pull forty tons of gravel across the span. This aesthetically pleasing bridge has engaged the attention of historians, artists and photographers. Tucked away in a serene area, Blackfriars bridge is a London treasure. The 212 foot bridge arches across the Thames River connecting the north end of Ridout Street with Blackfriars Street. The pathways and parks along the river have encouraged activity in the area and citizens continue to enjoy this piece of London's heritage. It is believed to be the oldest wrought iron bridge still used by vehicles in North America.