Service Alerts

We're OPEN! NEW hours at all locations starting October 18. Proof of vaccination NOT required to use Library at this time.
Starting Nov 1, your Library Card # and Library PIN will be needed to use OverDrive and Libby. This PIN is the same one used to access other digital Library resources.
Print from Home now available!
Your Library is now FINE FREE!

No. 4 Fire Station

No. 4 Fire Station
Plaque no. 23
Date of plaque unveiling
13 October 1979
Speakers
Fred McCullaugh, London Fire Department
Location
807 Colborne Street, London, Ontario

Take a tour of No. 4 Fire Station on HistoryPin

Google map
Javascript is required to view this map.
Photo Gallery
Select thumbnail image to view
History

In 1842, two years after London’s incorporation as a village, its citizens organized a volunteer fire department. A by-law required householders to keep fire buckets in their homes. Fires were fought by lines of people who passed buckets from a nearby water source to the fire.

The Great Fire of London in 1845 destroyed more than 300 buildings and prompted such measures as the placement of water tanks at intersections and the acquisition of a hand-operated pump engine. A large fire bell replaced the trumpets used to alert people to fires.

The first fire hall was erected on Carling Street in 1847 and was replaced by one on King Street in 1853. This hall served the entire city until new fire stations were added: No. 2 on Rectory Street in 1885 and No. 3 on Bruce Street in 1891.

A permanent, paid firefighting force had been established on April 1, 1873.

At the turn of the twentieth century, Fire Chief John A. Roe requested a new station to serve the north end of the city. In 1909, No. 4 Fire Station was built on the corner of Colborne and St. James streets, and No. 5 was built on the east side of Adelaide Street between Grey and Hill streets.

Architect Arthur E. Nutter designed both stations in an abstract Italianate style, featuring broad eaves, pilasters above the fire hall door and a simplified Tuscan tower. These stations complement the residential streetscape.

On September 9, 1912, London received its first motorized fire truck. By 1925, the fire department was completely motorized with three pump engines, three chemical and hose trucks, two ladder trucks, one aerial ladder truck, and two chiefs’ cars.

In 1999, there were eleven fire stations in London equipped with ten engines, nine special units, six tankers, three aerial ladders, and two chiefs’ cars.